Monday 12 March 2012

The Art of Forgiveness – Personal Testimony


It is guaranteed that we will all, at some time or another, be hurt by someone we care deeply for.  I think that those hurts are often the hardest to deal with as they cut the deepest.  These hurts we carry with us, and when other people say things to us (which we can easily deal with on a normal day), it is like rubbing salt into our bleeding wounds.  This can make us react to them harshly, and they feel like – “Chill! What did I say?!”

We have to deal with these hurts or they will cripple us, stop us from being all that we are meant to be, hamper us from reaching our full potential.  But the burning question is “How do I forgive someone when they have hurt me so badly?”

Here is my personal journey that God led me on to reach forgiveness and understand the process that brings you there.

I grew up with an alcoholic father.  Throughout my childhood I could only recall the memories that hurt and I was consumed with anger and hate towards him.  When I went off to college, I was confronted by God about my need to forgive my dad.  I remember sitting under a tree and arguing with God.  He did not deserve my forgiveness, why should I be the one to do it, he must come and say sorry to me … and so I gave God every reason why I was not going to forgive him. 

I knew I was broken and that the pain was festering inside me, but the thought of letting go and forgiving him felt like I was letting him off the hook!  Look how I was hurt!!! Oh, how I rationalised and argued, and in the end, when I reached the bottom, I cried and simply asked “How? How do I forgive someone after so many years of anger?”

One of the many lessons that I have learnt through the years, is that God is very practical.  I love that He led me through this process so gently and did not say flat word like “just it let go”.  It is not always easy to let go of the feelings you have especially after many years.  But God did not tell me to stop feeling, He took me in a very interesting direction.

God told me to show my father the respect that his position required. Huh? I was confused. How do I show him respect?  So God taught me about my actions – I must show my dad respect through my actions, through what I do.

The first thing I did when I saw my dad, was I greeted him with a hug.  I can tell you that that was the hardest thing I forced myself to do at that time.  It was a very awkward hug, and my dad was taken back and even uncomfortable with it.  I tried my best to not fight with him, speak rudely to him, be kind and generous, and generally show him respect through my actions.  This is when the most amazing thing began to happen.

My dad began to respond to my actions.  He would give me a big hug in return, we fought less, he showed me the love I so desperately wanted.  The more I showed him respect, the more positive response I got, until the hate slowly began to thaw and I could feel love for him growing inside me.  One day I woke up and the anger and hate was gone, and there was love in its place. 

Please understand that this was not a quick process.  This took almost a year to get to that place.  The old feelings did not vanish overnight; it had to be slowly rooted out of my soul – every last weed – before I was truly free. Each action of love tore out a bad root, and each action of love I received in return filled that hole with a new seed of love to grow. 

I remember the day I realised that I really love my daddy and was not angry with him anymore.  I sat at the foot of his bed one morning and told him that I forgive him and love him.  That was all I said.  I did not elaborate or explain, just said: “Daddy, I forgive you. I love you.” And then I cried. Amazingly my dad did not say anything, he just cried too.  I realised he needed that release as much as I did.

We never said anything more after that.  I love my dad and we share a lovely father/daughter relationship.  He is still an alcoholic. But my love is not based on his actions anymore, I love the man even if his actions make me cross.

This is how I learnt about the process of forgiveness.  I knew I had to forgive (mind), but it was through my actions that the process started.  The result began to change my heart (emotions), which reinforced my decision to forgive, which encouraged my continual actions, which continued to change my heart … and so it went on until the day I realised that my emotions were free from the chains of unforgiveness.

Now when I look back on my childhood, I remember the good memories and fun times we had. I am amazed how my anger had so clouded my memory as to not remember those times. Now that the clouds are gone, I can see the full picture.  Yes, I remember the bad times, the memories will always be there, but they don’t hurt in my soul anymore.  The hurt has been healed even if the scar remains. I now see that all of my memories, both good and sad, have helped me to grow into the woman I am today. 

We all face different situations that cause us pain, and we all know that we should forgive so that we can be free – it is important for your life and future. How can you change your actions today to start that process of forgiveness?

I pray that you will make forgiveness a priority in your life so that you can grow and be all that you were made to be.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment